The following items are guidelines to be followed by Desert Woodcrafters members who desire
to participate in hand crafting wooden toys.
- Safety of the toy to prevent injury to a child is the primary object when handcrafting
- Toys designs are to be suitable for children three (3) years old or older. Suggested
size is 3 to 8 inches in length.
- Toy finishes may be either paint or natural as the maker desires. None of the finishes
available on the market today are toxic after curing completely. Finishes should, none
the less, be verified to not contain lead!
- The use of rub-on or glue-on decals is not recommended; however, if a maker feels
decals add to the authenticity or correctness of the toy , all decals should be over
sprayed with a clear spray so that a child cannot pick the decal off the toy.
- When designing a toy, remember we are making toys for children and not adults.
- All pieces comprising a toy should be thoroughly glued using a water resistant glue such
as Titebond II.
- No metal fasteners such as nails, staples, brads or screws are to be used.